Friday 2 October 2015

Icons and a selfie

This week it has been icons for me. It started with this picture of Marilyn Monroe which I was really please with - I approached it wth a very different style to what I usually usem and to be honest it just felt 'right' from the off. I know that the likeness isn't spot on - but there is resemblance - and I was happy with the hair, which is usual for me as hair is usually a point of frustration.


Marilyn kind of put me in the mood for Hollywood icons. I actually followed it up with Albert Einstein (I know, weird tangent) but quickly went on to Elizabeth Taylor. With Elizabeth I wanted to capture the chameleon nature of her personality, and her dangerous, even somewhat vicious nature that was notoriously just under the surface.

Again - I was feeling a bit braver with Elizabeth - I think my confidence was up after the portrait of Marilyn - so I felt quite free to try something very different for me and attack the colours a bit. I was quite happy with the outcome.


Albert Einstein just has an incredible face and I find it fascinating staring at his face and trying to imagine what it must have been like inside his head! I'm sure that he didn't see the world anything like I do - and that maybe even something wasn't wired up the same as the rest of us. He also has such character and expression. I don't know much about Einstein, but his face just has such benevolance and warmth.

Was I happy with this picture - yeah, mmmh, so-so. I like his eyes - although they're ever so slightly exaggerated. What I'm not happy with is that it's a bit flat. 


So I then did a drawing of Grace Kelly. I don't believe in monarchy so we can leave the 'princess' fantasy/fairy tale garbage alone. She was notoriously isolated and alienated by the whole experience of being brought into a royal family.

I think the picture is recognisable, but it's a bit step backwards for me. My drawing has come on a long way in the space of a few weeks, but this is little better than anything I was doing a few months ago. It's exceptionally bland and looks like an unfortunate porcelain doll. 



This is a self portrait. The first I've ever done actually. You'll have to take my word on how good it is! It's a 6/10 job I'm afraid. It's alrighty I suppose.



No comments:

Post a Comment