Saturday 31 October 2015

Elena Yani

This week I wanted to look at the art of Elena Yani, who is an amazing painter based in the Ukraine. She works in oils on canvass and her work ranges in mood and feeling from the Dutch Masters (see her sunflowers!) to something far more contemporary.

I want to start with the work that really caught my attention intially. This is amazing quality with such incredible depth, detail and texture. In this first piece I am particularly caught by the reflections in the silverware, and the peel of the fruit. The cloth texture is also quite remarkable.


The two following paintings of sunflowers are beautiful. There is just a fantastic composition on display here - warmth and abundance - a real creation of mood and feeling.



I think I'm drawn more to the darkness of the second painting - but that's simply a personal preference because the quality of both is amazing.

I think it's very usual to see a modern artist painting in this style with such authenticity. It doesn't feel assumed or recreated at all. It is utterly convincing.

In addition to this style Elena also paints with a very modern contemporary perspective that is quite different again:




 Now - as a matter of personal taste I'm less drawn to these later three images (later in this blog that is - I don't know how they appear on Elena's personal timeline) - but regardless I have to marvel at the technique nonethelesss.

In buying mode I would purchase the second of the sunflower works in a heartbeat - but look at the work on the sheer fabric of the lady in the middle image! The sensuality of the female form is so difficult to recreate and yet it seems elegant and perfectly portrayed there.

I also think there is an fabulous show of ability in the snow scene too. Working with white (or rather tricking the mind into seeing such white by using such blues and greys and greens) is a huge challenge. Look at the water work in that piece and you have to marvel at the heavy icy quality and the reflective properties that are imbued.

Finally I want to turn to Elena's pencil drawings. Here we have three examples where she has been sketching architechture:





Elena Yani is an artist from the Ukraine, she sells her work privately. Her sunflowers on canvass sold for $400.

At this time Elena doesn't have a website but can be found on twitter where she has 2,400 followers @Elena_yani:


Speaking to Elena privately she told me that trained formally for seven years in art college because she always aspired to be an artist. She models herself on the Dutch style of realism.

Elena is planning to setup a website so that she can sell more of her work internationally.

I'm very grateful to Elena for speaking to me today and allowing me to share some of her pieces.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment