Friday 20 November 2015

Sharon Stone

The first of this week's artists is Sharon Stone.

No, not that Sharon Stone. This Sharon Stone resides in Southend on Sea, Essex, and produces an array of art in many different materials - with particular reference to depth and texture - and themes of other arts, including music and musicians.
Sharon is to be found on both Facebook and Twitter (I found her on the latter) where she displays an array of both portraiture and landscapes. The first pieces that I want to share with you are portraits of musical icons (who sadly are no longer with us):



















 






























It doesn't hurt that I love Amy Winehouse, Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley - but actually taking on a beloved icon is quite risky because if you get it wrong you'll seriously upset your audience. Sharon (as far as my limited opinion goes) really succeeds by setting monochrome recognition against the flow of textured sheet music.
This seems to be a key for this artist - she doesn't deal in straight edges and clean lines. It is rough hewn and textured all the way. There is a sense of depth and touch.

Here we have one of Sharon's guitars. She has done a series of guitars (does she play?) They are set in the context of the style of the instrument (latin, jazz etc) and she has really done well here and i find these instruments appealing. I play guitar (much to the pain of my wife and children) and I would love to have a music room decorated with this imagery. It's evocative and lively and genuinely enjoyable.





The musical / guitarist theme continues with this atmospheric portrait:






This has a smokey yellow light and is full of beautiful soft edges. It also has appreciable detail, which does not shy away from the technical challenge of the instrument in use. I love the window providing depth and backlight at the rear of the picture. It is wonderful when art captures a moment and i think that is what makes this such a standout image. I think everyone who has played recognises this and it's so endearing.
I want to turn away from portraits toward's Sharon landscapes. The two that i have added here are wonderful. I like them because they 'feel' like landscapes - they have haze and temperature about them:





The final picture that I want to show is abstract:
This is a dirty nasty crime scene of a piece. It looks like it has superb forensic value! There is a seriously gory quality to this, like a shooting in a pub toilet.






I have really enjoyed this work. Absolutely all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment