Monday 23 November 2015

Jonas Kunickas

This is the first time that I've featured an artists that I haven't met through Twitter. The fact is that I just have to write something about Jonas Kunickas.

I found out about this artist through 'Tons of Paintings':


Jonas Kunickas is a figurative artist in oils (natural comparisons might be drawn to Andre Kohn as a result - but his style is very different). He is a Lithuanian artist based in Kaunas:



His artist is charged with energy and I love it. Look as these portraits:







I love the unorthodox use of colour that inflames the picture and makes it jump out - with a sense of animation almost, and also with texture and depth.


This tremendous family portrait (including animals) has so much going on. I love the dog on the left particularly. Every individual image is worthy of congratulations - it seems to convey so much and succeeds in shaking off any sense of formality. As with the individual portraits above there is tremendous warmth.



The final two pictures offer a contrast. A juvenile girl drinking tea, and a semi nude. I like the way that this shows the vibrancy of the artist's diversity. It works equally well with both images. The evers so slightly unwilling nature of the young girl, with a hint of incredulity (and possibly even precociousness) in her eyes is given a delightful sense of life.




The voluptuous soft curves of the mature female form, cast with shadows and sheets, works equally well. I imagine that she's staring into the flames of a fire. The blues also hint at the suggest of an apparition of the mind - is this deliberate?

It's a tremendous shame that Jonas Kunickas isn't on twitter - I'd love to ask him questions about his style.

Instead of himself, I'd recommend @TonsofPaintings - who I'm grateful to for helping me to discover him in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment