Friday 6 November 2015

Kelli Gedvil

I don't choose who to write about on here. Actually, they choose me. Pretty much.

Usually I'm on Twitter or Niume and someone follows me or I encounter someone, and their work strikes me and I have no choice.

There's one or two that I've blogged about on here where I had to give it some thought - but generally that's how it happens. The art chooses me.

Introducing Kelli Gedvil is a classic example of how this goes.


https://twitter.com/Keltu

You can visit Kelli on twitter  - her account is shown above (click on it to visit her). She has a modest and very respectable following of some 8,000 people (a good deal more than I have following me).

Kelli also has a very impressive multi-lingual website here

Kelli has an incredible gift with colour. Her work reminds me - to some extent - of Leonid Afremov (who I have previously blogged about some weeks ago). I love his use of colour and contrast, and the same is true with Kelli.


The use of the colour blue, in both of the images above and below is quite incredible. While the blue in both pictures is deeo abd squeezes the composition just a little bit the explosions of yellow and green make the compositions 'pop' and offer depth in both instances.


This autumnal image of Talin (below) sizzles with seasonal overtones. It is celebratory and offers a love and an enjoyment of the leaves falling from the trees. It is like the aftermath of a mardi-gras that was Summer. This is an utterly fearless use of colour - just look at the spectrum that is on display here:


This cherry blossom is positively exploding off the surface of this image (below) - the use of shadow to the right hand side is working so well, supporting the texture of the bold pinks and purples that adorn the tree. 


The next two images that I have chosen to highlight (are in my opinion) very special indeed. The first image - entitled 'Vajdahunyad Castle' is like a fantastical riot of colour. The deepest layer of the painting appears to be errupting every colour - white, peach, yellow, firey reds, blues, acquamarine - we're seeing clouds and trees and swirls of mist, warm smoke - this is incredibly evocative. The castle itself is bold and bright - but the fine lines seems to animate and detail the piece all at the same time. I can also almost feel wind moving through this image, it has a rustling, jostling, living quality. It is so dynamic.


Beneath this I have chosen to show you a piece entitled 'Ravilla Park':


This is abstract, and for me, beginning to journey towards Picasso. The surreal use of colour continues here - but it is framed with recognisable parameters - steps, a bridge, a horizon - which holds this picture in place (there is an element of Van Gogh's style in those stairs actually). Again there are explosive qualities. There is a molten, melting, volcanic quality to this picture. I genuinely think it's wonderful.

Kelli Gedvil is just 21 years old and her work is more than promising. I haven't communicated directly with Kelli, but simply from visiting her twitter and her website it is revealed that she is an Estonian artist. She writes about her art form being a source of empowerment and expression. She already sells her work internationally, and at 21 years old I think that is a great achievement.

No comments:

Post a Comment